Saturday, October 27, 2012

Lovely day in flat country

Rain ended by morning. An hour of driving brought me to blue skies with brilliant sunshine.

Illinois, Indiana, and Missouri: the pass-through states. Six lane highways at 65-70 mph with travel plazas and rest stops. I sped past Candle Glo, Boot City, and Historic Greenup.

On the plus side I had a lot of happy music to listen to and parades of semi-trailer trucks to keep me company.

St. Louis is the most confusing city. They take 70W, divide it into four parts, bring it back together and then lose it completely only to bring it back miles later. I chose to go through town. Word of advice: take the 270 bypass. I got stuck in construction traffic where six lanes were reduced to two as a crew did something to the bridge that smelled like glue.

The arch was impressive the way the Washington monument is impressive: tall. 70W took me right past it. Don't think I would make a special trip to see it.

This Motel 6 (in Wentzville outside St. Louis) is the fanciest so far. It's in a corporate area and used to be a Holiday Inn. Unlike the other Motel 6's it is not surrounded by Waffle House, Mc Donald's, and gas stations. The nearest breakfast place is one exit down. Or up. It's also more expensive and I was not automatically offered the senior discount.

Last night on the road. Looking forward to sleeping in a homey place tomorrow. And seeing my daughter, of course.

No comments: